Hi, welcome to blog number two with me, Equestyle’s sponsored rider, Abby Jones. Currently as I write this blog I have one of the biggest distractions possible, you guessed it, I am fence judging at the Kelsall Hill BE event and what better cross country to be judging, than the Intermediate, watching the “Pros at work”, in my super soft comfy Horka Diamond Pully from EqueStyle. I love coming to things like this to volunteer because not only is it entertaining and a lovely day out (especially when the sun is out like today) but I can learn so much just by observing for when I reach this level, on how to approach different fences and the sorts of paces you need to be going at to stay within the optimum time.
Anyway I’ll stop making you all jealous now and tell you a little bit more about what I’ve been up to since we last spoke. Currently I’m busier than ever before with me and my own horse, King Champ, preparing for our BRC Intermediate Dressage Championships and Chatsworth BE, also getting into my new routine being back in full time work but this time trying to fit it in with more rides, which I gained over my Easter Holidays where I have spent lots of time building the bonds and relationships as well as schooling, fitness and jumping practice to prepare them all for the year ahead bit by bit. So I guess now would be a perfect time to introduce you to my lovely team of horses who I am very thankful to have.
- My one and only King champ – Coloured Irish Sports horse 15.3hh 8 year old gelding bought for me as a green 4 year old, who I have brought on myself, now competing at BE100 aiming for Novice this year.
- Devils Desire (Dezzie) – Warmblood/Connemara 15.1hh Grey 5 year old gelding – aiming at Eventing/Dressage/Showjumping, who I recently
gained the ride on over the Easter holidays.
- Bigstone MJ – Irish Sports Horse 16hh Palomino 5 year old gelding – aiming at Eventing, who I also gained the ride on over the Easter Holidays
- Man of Marks – TB/Warmblood 15.2hh 7 year old Piebald Gelding – Showjumping, who I have had the ride on since February
- Mr T – TB/Appaloosa 16.2 hh 6 year old Bay gelding – Dressage/Eventing, who I have also had the ride on since February
- Zena – British Sports Pony 15.2hh 13 year old mare – Schooling/Jumping as current owner is at university.
As for competitions I’ve had some pleasing and successful outings including my rec ent dressage competition on Champ where I came 2nd in the Prelim with a new PB of 75.21% then taking home a 1st in the Novice again on another PB of 71%. Couldn’t be more proud of how he’s going at the moment. I also took baby Dezzie to his first ever Showjumping competition last weekend where we went through to the jumps off in the 60cm and had one pole which put us into 5th place followed by a lovely double clear coming 7th in the 70cm, he handled the atmosphere and the fillers all very well, I’m so pleased with how he’s doing at the moment, very excited to see where this year takes us!
In my next blog I would like to talk about, any tips, questions or advice from schooling to jumping or just how I manage to organise full time work, rides and going to the gym to make sure I’m on top form. If you have any specific ideas or general questions about me or for advice please comment below or give me a message on my twitter or Facebook accounts.
Now if you will excuse me I’m going to go back to watching these magnificent animals at work and enjoying the sun. Wishing you all luck and I will speak to you all again soon. My Facebook account is Abby Jones Equestrian and my twitter is ARJEquestrian.